Motor Vehicle Accidents

Motorbike or Motorcycle Accidents

Motorbike or Motorcycle Accidents

If you’re riding a motorbike or you are a pillion passenger and you injure yourself on the road, the impact may be more significant than if you were in a car. The injuries may require more treatment and may be longer lasting with greater impact.

What to do if you have been involved in a motorbike accident

If you have been involved in a motorbike accident, whether it involves another vehicle or not, you should immediately seek help if you or anyone else is injured. You may need to call 000 to seek the assistance of Victoria Police, ambulance or the fire brigade.

You should exchange details of any other driver involved and speak to any witnesses. You will need to file an accident report with Victoria Police.

You should collect the details of the other driver, you can do this by taking a photo of their licence, writing down their name, address and even their registration number. If you have your phone with you and it takes photos, take photos of the accident showing the location of both vehicles and the damage to each. This assists in claiming car insurance and helping the police if they need to investigate. It will also help you if you are claiming for injuries and want to make a claim with the Transport Accident Commission (TAC).

If the other driver hits and runs or refuses to provide their details

If you have been involved in a road or transport accident, you need to exchange details, including contact information and details of any insurance you have. If the other driver flees the scene or refuses to provide you with details, they are referred to as an unidentified driver.

You will need to take reasonable steps to try to identify them. This means, reporting the accident to Victoria Police and providing them with as much information you can, including the vehicle colour, make, model, the time of the accident, details of anyone else who may have witnessed it. It may be useful to see if there were any shops or houses nearby with CCTV footage and providing that information to the Police as soon as you can.

You can still make a claim for compensation even if you do not know the details of the other driver. But the more steps you can take to identify the other party, the better.

Contact us today, and start with a free consultation by clicking “Make a Booking” to receive our preliminary expert advice. 

Key Contact .

Jonathan Coyle
Founding Partner
Tony Chow